arrow_back Back to help

Nitrogen reporting quick guide


Your quick guide to using HawkEye for your nitrogen cap reporting.

From July 2022, all dairy farmers must provide their annual nitrogen (N) use for the year 1st July to 30th June to their local regional council.

How do I get started?

Once you have nutrient usage recorded for the year, HawkEye can provide correctly formatted reporting after a few simple steps. These steps are needed to ensure the N-Cap reporting meets regional council requirements of reporting by land use category.

Creating your Nitrogen Report

  • Create a landholding
    This is a contiguous land area (area of adjoining land) being farmed that you will use to report your N use.  You can create more than one landholding if you have non-contiguous areas on farm.
  • Create a new report
    Select the year you wish to report.
  • Assign land categories
    These define what use your land was in during the reporting year.  The categories are:
    • Grazed pasture
    • Grazed forage crops
    • Grazed harvest crops
    • Ungrazed land

An area can have multiple land categories over the year.

Nitrogen Reporting
After creating your landholding and assigning your land categories, a simple push of a button will create your nitrogen use reports ready for you to provide for your local regional council. There are three sections to the report:

  • Nitrogen report
    This will show the total nitrogen applied in kg and the average nitrogen applied across all land categories as well as an average across the total grazed land area. The information to be provided to council will include the grazed land, grazed forage, grazed non-forage and ungrazed land nitrogen figures.
  • Product application report
    This comprises a list of products applied, their N% and the dates applied.
  • Sales report
    This comprises a list of all N based purchases made on your Ravensdown account. Your purchases do not need to exactly match your applications as there may be purchases for outside the dairy or for multiple farms on the same account or even another fertiliser supplier.

Note that no farm mapping or proof of placement data is sent to council, only the information as above.

How does the calculation work?

HawkEye will look at all nitrogen-based applications for the reporting year and allocate them to the correct land category in the given time ranges. It will then calculate for each land category the total N applied and average kg/N/ha for the year. It will also give an overall figure for the grazed land. The report will also calculate a figure for grazed non-forage land which is made up of the grazed pasture and grazed harvest crops.

For the grazed forage figure, if a paddock is in a forage crop at any point of the year, all the applications to that paddock will be included in the grazed forage crop nitrogen figure rather than the grazed non-forage crop figure due to the legislation.

How can I submit my report?

You can now submit your report directly in HawkEye with a few simple clicks. Read more how here.

When is my report due?

Your nitrogen use information is due to council by the 31st July for the previous reporting year. For the 2021/22 reporting year, no action relating to the submission of data will be taken by regional or unitary councils in the period after 31 July 2022 until the end of October 2022

Learn More About

N190 Landholdings


Create your landholdings for nitrogen cap reporting easily with HawkEye. 

Read more

N190 Land Categories


Make running your nitrogen report a breeze by defining your land use in HawkEye. 

Read more

N190 Nitrogen Cap FAQs


Frequently asked questions regarding the new nitrogen cap rules.

Read more

N190 Nitrogen Report


Let us do the math for you. Generate your nitrogen cap reports for council using HawkEye.

Read more